Knowing how to record a video on an iPhone or iPad is a very useful thing to master. Whether you're at a concert or just at home, it's something that can really come in handy when you want to capture the moment without a traditional video camera.
Because all of our online learning schools use Video Exchange™ technology, it's important that our students know how to both record videos using iPhones or iPads and know how to submit them to their teachers in the most efficient way possible.
A common issue we see is that videos sometimes display as upside down once they've been processed by our system. To avoid this, review our quick tips about recording videos on iPhones and iPads to ensure that your video does not come out upside down or sideways (hint: it's all about the correct orientation).
- When you record with an iPhone or iPad, the internal gyroscope automatically adjusts the orientation.
- Properly position your device before recording the video so it doesn’t flip the orientation after uploading.
- Make sure you have a good aspect ratio set. We recommend 1920x1080 or 1280x720.
How to Record Video on iPhone:
You can record video on your iPhone as long as you make sure you're using "Landscape Orientation" and that the "Record" button is on the RIGHT side, as you're looking at the screen. Pretty simple, yes?
Recording Video on an iPad:
Right now, the only way to record a video on an iPad and have it work on our site without flipping is to use the "Facetime" camera. This is the camera on the screen side, with the "Record" button on the LEFT. It's a bit counter-intuitive because the natural inclination is to have the button on the right (like on the iPhone)... but remember, it must be on the LEFT side.
We don't recommend using the HD camera (the camera on the back of an iPad) to record videos because in order to get yourself in the screen, you'd have to sit pretty far away from the iPad and the sound quality would suffer. Here's how it should look:
Uploading Your Video to ArtistWorks:
Great news! You can upload your videos to your teacher directly from your iPad or iPhone:
- iPad Users - Please review the FAQ titled "I'm having trouble uploading a video for my teacher." before continuing.
- Make sure you are logged into your ArtistWorks account first.
- Select the "Submit a Video" tab (from your teacher's video lesson) to upload the video to your teacher.
- Make sure the video is saved to your "Camera Roll" (this is where you'll be able to select your video for uploading it to the site).
- Select your video and hit "Submit".
- Wait for it finish processing and you're all set!